Project

General

Ext JS 4 and Sencha Touch

Added by Alistair Lowe over 10 years ago

Hi guys,

I'm new to Wt but am absolutely loving it!

I'm curious if there's any work going on towards integrating Ext JS 4 and Sencha Touch into Wt?

Increasingly now we're working with clients who want the easy roll-out and maintainability of web apps but wish to access them with tablet devices running iOS or Android, both of which sport powerful HTML5 browsers with revamped javascript engines that can be exploited with Sencha Touch. Bringing native app style interactions to the web for these devices would complete the experience.

Cheers

Replies (5)

RE: Ext JS 4 and Sencha Touch - Added by Wim Dumon over 10 years ago

Hi Alistair,

There's no plans to support newer versions of ExtJS.

Note that it is possible to interface with JS libraries within Wt, not only through execution of JS code, but also by binding them to signals/slots that connect seamless to C signals and slots (see JSignal/JSlot/...). We used this mechanism to integrate ExtJS, others have used it to integrate JQuery UI widgets, so you may use it to use senche touch with Wt.

Wt has support for touch screen events.

BR,

Wim.

RE: Ext JS 4 and Sencha Touch - Added by Christophe Delépine over 10 years ago

Hi,

Wt is poor in terms of widget variety and look & feel compared to extjs.

Shouldn't the integration of new widgets be very high on the roadmap ?

Cheers

RE: Ext JS 4 and Sencha Touch - Added by Alistair Lowe over 10 years ago

Hi Wim,

Thanks for the reply, I've just taken a look and I'm struggling to see the point that C Ext hooks up with the javascript libraries. Would have been nice for a bit more development documentation :(

RE: Ext JS 4 and Sencha Touch - Added by Koen Deforche over 10 years ago

Hey,

Previously, we did integrate other widgets in Wt (Wt::Ext) but that has proven to be a cumbersome path. It adds another component which make hunting browser issues (layout, JavaScript errors) much harder because it can be a combination of events in different code bases. The browser (and JavaScript) is not a friendly environment to mix different things on a library level and expect them to work regardless of how developers are using your library (it is much easier to do it at an application level).

So, we have the development (rather than integration) of new widgets high on the roadmap. We are in the process of porting Wt to Android and iPad (both ports are in a happy experimental stage), so you can expect updates to our widgets for typical mobile devices.

In this area, it helps if you request specific widgets to be added to Wt (rather than point to a whole library).

Regards,

koen

RE: Ext JS 4 and Sencha Touch - Added by Christophe Delépine over 10 years ago

Hi Koen,

I am glad to see that extjs is not the way forward. Since it requires a specific license, i try not to use these widgets.

I have created 3 feature requests. See #758, #759, #765

Hopefully they are in your roadmap already !

Regards

Christophe

(1-5/5)