Project

General

Multiple connections from one browser/session

Added by True Furby about 9 years ago

Opening multiple "tabs" in browser to the Wt application which has "enableUpdates(true)" causes first "tab" to freeze and flood the Wt server with POST requests. This can be stopped only by closing both "tabs".

This is not happening without "enableUpdates(true)".

I tested even with basic "feature/broadcast" example.

Tested only with lastest Chrome.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards,

Ondrej

Replies (11)

RE: Multiple connections from one browser/session - Added by Koen Deforche about 9 years ago

Hey,

I just tried this and it works as expected (every session has one request every second). I tried with up to 8 sessions and with Wt git and Chromium 24.

So it's certainly not something that goes wrong in general. Perhaps this occurs only with a specific Wt version and/or Chrome version ?

Regards,

koen

RE: Multiple connections from one browser/session - Added by True Furby about 9 years ago

Here is the version number:

"WEnvironment: UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.64 Safari/537.31"

Here's full log: http://pastebin.com/Avr7ReWV

RE: Multiple connections from one browser/session - Added by True Furby about 9 years ago

Also I am using "wt-3.3.0-rc3" as you can see in the log.

RE: Multiple connections from one browser/session - Added by Koen Deforche about 9 years ago

Hey,

Can you check Wt 3.3.0 final and/or the Wt git version ?

Regards,

koen

Still happens in Wt 3.3.0.

Seems to be problem when having multiple connections from same session. So this doesn't happen when there is URL tracking of session because each connection is different session.

Could you please test this on your side? I'm not sure what my next should be to solve this issue.

Hey,

Indeed you cannot support multiple windows from one session, and the use of url tracking is mandatory (versus cookies) if you want a user to have multiple sessions in one browser.

This behavior is then not unexpected.

Regards,

koen

Alright, I understand. Why does it happen though? Where is the "loop" happening? Can't it be fixed? So the other windows with same session would act just as duplicates?

RE: Multiple connections from one browser/session - Added by Wim Dumon about 9 years ago

Hi,

It's on our roadmap to support multiple windows/tabs within one browser, all tied to one session. Until then, things will just go wrong. Do not use cookies for session tracking.

BR,

Wim.

RE: Multiple connections from one browser/session - Added by Stefan Hainzl over 7 years ago

Hello,

Were there any efforts in this direction?

Just to clarify what I understand by having multiple windows: for example to have several plots showing data from a process controlled from a main window. Benefit from this is to distribute 'plots' over several physical screens.

Thanks a lot!

Stefan

RE: Multiple connections from one browser/session - Added by Koen Deforche over 7 years ago

Hey,

We did some work on this, but the branch never got to a usable state. It's a nasty feature since it requires a big re-organisation which doesn't go well together with all of the other changes happening on the tree.

The use case you mention is indeed one of the things we want to be able to do (more easily) than is currently possible.

Koen

(1-11/11)